301st Bombardment Group WWIIArmy Air Forces Roundel

| Home | 301st BG | 301st HQ | 32nd Squadron | 352nd Squadron | 353rd Squadron | 419th Squadron | Contact Us |

Military Cinema Presents, Combat film of the 301st BG in WWII on DVD.

Archival Combat Film Footage DVD of the 5th Bomb Wing and 301st BG.

WWII Missions

Mission MACRs

Crew Photos

Photo Albums

Awards and Decorations

Nose Art

Special Events


8th Air Force

12th Air Force

15th Air Force


Books & Movies

GI Language

WWII Links

B-17 Flying Fortress

Making Connections

301bg.com's Mission

301st Association

Lt. Col. Frederick C Eaton - HQ 301 BG


Captain Frederick 'Fred' C. Eaton, Jr

Born July 15, 1917 in Scarsdale, New York. Eaton attended Dartmouth College and played on their squash team before joining the US Army Air Force.

Assigned to the 7th Bomb Group, 22nd Bomb Squadron. Known as 'Fred' or 'Freddy' to his squadron mates. At 25 he was piloting B-17E 41-2446 on his first combat mission of February 23, 1942. Part of a planned nine bomber raid, this aircraft took off from Garbutt Airfield, late on the night February 22 to bomb shipping in Rabaul at Simpson Harbor at dawn the next morning, and return via Port Moresby's 7-Mile Drome to refuel before returning to Garbutt Airfield. Only five B-17s made it to Rabaul, the other aborted. Over the target, Eaton's bomber had to make a second pass, due to a problem with its bomb bay, but finally dropped onto a freighter of 10,000 tons. On this second run, an anti-aircraft shell that passed thru the right wing without exploding. Results of the bombing were hard to observe due to clouds. Off the target, the bomber was intercepted by fighters over Rabaul, and maneuvered to escape them. The tail gunner claimed one Zero, shot down at 24,000 feet after firing burst of 400 rounds from a range of 200-300 yards. Waist gunner Crawford, claimed two more. Their plane was hit by the attacker's 7.7mm and 20mm fire. After the battle, they flew as far as the north coast of New Guinea, before running short on fuel. Eaton force landed in a kunai field with the wheels up. He thought it was was dry ground, but actually it was a swamp. As the bomber touched down, it turned slightly, pointing the nose of the bomber slightly SE, at 183 degree heading. The crew walked away from the crash site, and with the assistance of local villagers, and Australian Resident Magistrate, Alan Champion. They arrived by boat back at Port Moresby on April 1, 1942, 36 days after the crash, and returned to combat. After the crew's escape from the swamp, Eaton returned to combat, flying a total of 54 missions and 435 combat hours in the South Pacific theater. Eaton had other harrowing missions, like force landing an LB-30 at Milne Bay.

After this tour, he went on to fly in Europe, flying 4 mission and 21 combat hours from the United Kingdom and another 44 missions and 222 combat hours in Italy (15th AF, 301st BG, HQ), totaling 102 missions and 678 hours, all in B-17s.

After the war, he worked for Sears Roebuck & Company. In the late 1980's he retired to Martha's Vineyard with his wife Peggy, and spent winters in South Carolina. Eaton passed away March 31, 1994.

Wartime photo via Richard Gillespie, current photo via Mrs. Eaton.

Get The AAC Museum eNewsletter

Support the Army Air Corps Library and Museum

What's New At 301bg.com


  • July 26, 1944 Revisited in 2009 by Bill Brainard
  • Personal Album of Robert Rawles
  • Personal Album of Thaddeus T. Crump
  • Personal Album of Thomas A. Coyne
  • Personal Album of Floyd Byerly


  • MAJ Sidney Wanderman 301st BG 301st HQ
  • SSGT Paul Burk 301st BG 32nd BS
  • SGT John Clement 301st BG 32nd BS
  • SGT Warren Nugent 301st BG 32nd BS
  • SSGT Sidney Levine 301st BG 32nd BS

  • Army Air Corps Museum

    | Home | 301st BG | 301st HQ | 32nd Squadron | 352nd Squadron | 353rd Squadron | 419th Squadron | Contact Us |

    301bg.com Copyright 2019 Army Air Corps Library and Museum, All Rights Reserved